You are responsible for a sport and recreation facility. It may be an indoor facility like a recreation hall or outdoor facility like a soccer field. In the former case it might include meeting rooms, office, several different types of outdoor sports fields and indoor courts. Your job is to make sure that your facility is used as much as possible by the community it was intended to serve. If your sports fields, indoor courts and meeting rooms are empty most of the time, your facility is not being used adequately. To ensure usage it is necessary to market the facility.
MARKETING YOUR FACILITY
Marketing is the process of making your product known and getting people to use it. There are several was to marketing and promoting a sport and recreation facility:
· Advertising and promotion
· Public relations
· Direct marketing
· Special events.
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE?
· Get the community, clubs and cultural organizations to use the facility .
· Generate outside income to pay for sports equipment or improvements to the facility.
· Find sponsors to pay the costs of presenting a sports event.
· Improve performance level / participation of sports persons working out at your facility.
· Increase community involvement and social opportunities.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO START
· Local telephone directory / yellow pages
· Local business directory (to identify possible sponsors)
· Ground plan of your facility.
· List of all local radio stations
· List of TV station
· Local and regional newspapers ./ magazines
· Stationery ( pens, markers, large sheets of paper, notepads)
· An address book in which to write useful contact numbers (a big one will be best)
· Membership list and lists of possible target groups eg. Clubs, sports, bodies, cultural groups etc.